Want to submit your own event for inclusion in our calendar? Click here to tell us about it.
- This event has passed.
Family Fun Night: Spooky/Sweet Tooth Science
October 25, 2019 @ 5:30 pm - 9:00 pm$20 – $25
Spooky Sweet Tooth Science
Friday, October 25 | 5:30-9pm
A spoonful of C12H22O11 helps the science go down! Just in time for Halloween, you and your family are in for a treat with Spooky & Sweet Tooth Science. Join us for a fun-filled evening perfect for both you and your kids! Our evening will be light on the tricks and heavy on the treats with workshops like candy chemistry and chocolate factory and explore the RMSC after hours. Come in costume and join the Halloween Parade at 6pm.
What will your ticket and this fun-filled night INCLUDE? SO MUCH!
– 2 classroom hands-on, (tasty) workshops (20-30 min each) facilitated by museum educators:
—Candy Chemistry: participants will learn about molecule structure using gumdrops as they create a molecule good enough to eat, dive into acid and base chemistry by making a gummy worm dance, and explore solubility with floating letters on your favorite candies.
—Chocolate Factory: experiment with all things chocolate! Participants will be able to make and take home their own chocolate slime (non-edible!), play with some scent-sational chocolate dough and explore density as we test different candy bars in candy bar sink or swim.
– Access to the entire museum, including newly opened SciFiTech exhibition!
– Inventor Centor will be open with our new challenge, Powering Mars, where you’ll be tasked with building solar/wind energy for a Martian Landscape. In this area, we’ll also have a crafting station to make masks and toilet tube monsters.
– A costume parade that will make its way through out the whole museum and include trick-or-treat stops along the way.
– Donuts, cider and other snacks!
– Crafting station to decorate your own re-usable “trick-or-treating bags”
– Learn how bats find their prey and play the “Bat vs. Moth” game
– Science Encounters will be set up throughout the museum with ongoing experiments
– The Carlson Inquiry Room will be open for you and your kids to greet our “spooky animals”!
– Release some energy with Halloween animal yoga & a breakdance balance challenge with Kaleidoscope ME
– 6pm: Halloween Costume Parade
Halloween Movie Showing in the Bausch (The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and/or Hocus Pocus)
KaleidoscopeMe Halloween animal yoga and breakdance balance challenge
– 7pm: Electricity Theatre Show
– 8pm: Live Science Show
– 8:45pm: Rochester Ghostbusters Appearance
– 9pm: Electricity Theatre Show
Tickets includes participation in two classroom workshops and access to the museum https://www.facebook.com/events/426989727931444/